Apparently I’ve not been baking enough so what better excuse than a birthday to get me baking another cake! Given that I have a hidden agenda for the baking (writing about it) I announced that I must make something new. Its definitely not a healthy recipe by any means but it sounded too nice to miss out on when I found it on BBC Good Food
- 225g very soft butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g caster sugar
- 225g self-raising flour
- 4 large egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 large orange, zest and 1 tbsp orange juice
- a few drops orange food colouring (optional)
- 50g orange chocolate, broken into pieces
As always, start by heating your oven to 180C / 160C fan / Gas 4 then grease and line the base of a loaf tin (8 x 21cm/ 2lb) with baking parchment. Beat the butter, sugar, eggs and flour together in a large bowl until combined, taking care not to overmix.
Split the mixture into two bowls. To one, add the milk and the cocoa powder and to the other, add the orange juice, zest and orange food colouring, if using. I didn’t have any food colouring so didn’t bother with this although I’m sure it would have highlighted the marble effect better.
Spoon alternate dollops of the mixture into the cake tin, then use a skewer to create a marble pattern by dragging it through the mixture in swirls. Make sure you don’t overmix or you won’t see the pattern.
Bake the cake for 45 – 55 mins until golden and risen, and a skewer poked in comes out clean. I’m not sure if the oven wasn’t quite hot enough but mine took 75 minutes before it was fully cooked so be aware that it may take longer!
Leave the cake in the tin to cool, then turn out. Melt the chocolate in a bowl gently in the microwave and use a spoon to drizzle the chocolate over the cake.
Obviously for reporting purposes I had to give this a try so I sliced it up, ready to take to work. I was worried it might have dried having been in the oven so long but it had a lovely light texture. If you like chocolate orange, this is the cake for you! My marble effect was quite subtle so perhaps I swirled the mixture around a bit too much.